Thursday, March 29, 2012

Progress!

The new game is finally starting to feel like a game, the player can run, jump, attack and fall down now.

The tile collision code was a challenge because my code was really unclear, not using the states right and using direction and speed instead of velocity.

I've cleaned it up completely after failing for about 5 times trying to get the falling right.
After that, it all became much more clear to me what exactly I had to do to make it work!
Also the code is readable now even by non programmers, and a lot smaller.

This game is really teaching me a lot, not only for game programming but programming in general.
Refactoring is a good idea when you're stuck!

Cheers!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'm back!

It's been a while since my last post, and that's because dark souls and skyrim came out and gobbled up all my free time in November.
I haven't picked game programming up since then but I'm planning on picking up where I left.

It seems I forgot most of the stuff I learned though...
Luckily for me I have this blog and it's posts to reread and refresh my mind.

I've started a small project to learn everything again, I'll keep you updated how it goes!